The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 2:57 p.m.

Everett man arrested after reports he threatened to kill people

EVERETT -- An Everett man, who allegedly told friends that he was going to kill people, has been arrested while detectives investigate allegations he was talking about committing murder.
The suspect, 23, was arrested Tuesday at Everett Community College where he was attending school, according to police reports.
An Everett District Court judge on Wednesday found probable cause to hold the man in the Snohomish County Jail for investigation of an offense called criminal attempt. Bail was set at $250,000.
Everett police said they had to use electronic stun guns three times when the man resisted arrest.
"He was failing to comply with the officers' commands to put his arms behind his back," Everett police Sgt. Robert Goetz said.
The suspect told friends at a Feb. 25 party that "he was going to kill some people" and mentioned an Everett tavern where he planned to start, according to court papers.
He also said he had planned to kill his mother, court papers said.
He told the witnesses that he wouldn't be going to jail and he talked about plans for his funeral, the police affidavit said.
The man showed people at the party paperwork from a pawn shop indicating he had purchased several handguns.
A pawn shop employee verified to police that the man had bought four handguns just prior to attending the party. The suspect paid in full, but couldn't pick the weapons up until a five-day waiting period had elapsed
When questioned by police, the man said he had no plans to follow through with the threats.
He said he bought the guns for his friends and he planned to keep one for himself.
His court-appointed attorney argued that the allegations were merely idle threats and the suspect had not taken any substantial steps toward committing a crime.
Goetz said it was "the totality of the circumstances," including the threats and purchase of firearms, that caused detectives to decide that the man belonged in custody.
Goetz also praised the person who brought the threats to the attention of police.
"Absent that phone call, things might have had a different outcome," he said.
Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446,
Story tags » EverettCrimePolice

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.